How can I change my address with the IRS?

There are several ways to notify the IRS that your address has changed:

1.      Oral notification

You can change your address over the phone or in person by visiting your closest IRS office.

The IRS will need you to verify your identity and the address they have on file for you. To do this, please have the following information handy:

  • Full name.
  • New address.
  • Old address.
  • Date of birth.
  • Social Security number, ITIN or EIN

In addition to this, the IRS may request any other information required to verify your identity.

2.     IRS form

To change your address with the IRS, you may complete Form 8822, Change of Address and mail to the address shown on the form.

If you are the responsible party for a business, you will need to use Form 8822-B, Change of Address or Responsible Party – Business.

3.      Tax return

If you change your address before you file your taxes, you can file your tax return with your new address. This way, the IRS will automatically update your records.

4.      Written statement

You can also change your address with the IRS by sending the agency a written statement that must contain the following:

  • Full name
  • Old address.
  • New address.
  • Social security number, ITIN or EIN.

Once ready, you have to mail your signed statement to the address where you filed your last return. It can generally take four to six weeks for the IRS to fully process a change of address request.