There are several ways to contact the IRS for getting tax information.
You can get help with most tax issues over the phone. The IRS will need your name and social security number to resolve any issues.
Here is a list of the phone numbers you can use to get assistance:
- 800-829-1040 for individuals (Form 1040 filers)
- 800-829-4933 for business callers
- 267-941-1000 for international callers or overseas taxpayers.
- 800-829-1040 if you are in Guam, the Bahamas, U.S. Virgin Islands, or Puerto Rico
On irs.gov you can find several tools that may help you with your questions about taxes:
- The Interactive Tax Assistant (ITA) provides answers to several tax law questions, such as how to determine eligibility to claim certain credits and deductions or whether certain types of income are taxable.
- You can also consult the Frequently Asked Questions and Answers page to clarify your doubts on tax matters, or check Tax Topics for instant access to general individual and business tax information.
- If you are an international taxpayer, you can find answers on the FAQs About International Individual Tax Matters page.