How do I contact the IRS for a tax question?

There are several ways to contact the IRS for getting tax information.

Phone contact

You can get help with most tax issues over the phone. The IRS will need your name and social security number to resolve any issues.

Here is a list of the phone numbers you can use to get assistance:

  • 800-829-1040 for individuals (Form 1040 filers)
  • 800-829-4933 for business callers
  • 267-941-1000 for international callers or overseas taxpayers.
  • 800-829-1040 if you are in Guam, the Bahamas, U.S. Virgin Islands, or Puerto Rico

Online contact

On you can find several tools that may help you with your questions about taxes: