The American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 authorized a third stimulus check as an advance payment of the tax year 2021 Recovery Rebate Credit.
In March 2021, the IRS began sending the third round of Economic Impact Payments to eligible taxpayers, most of whom have already received their third payment.
Here’s everything you need to know about the third round of Coronavirus stimulus payments.
What is the amount of the third stimulus check?
The third Economic Impact Payment is worth up to $1,400 per individual, including dependents. Unlike the first and the second stimulus payments, there is no age limit on eligible dependents.
Who is eligible for the third Economic Impact Payment?
Generally, someone is eligible for the full amount of the third stimulus payment if they receive an adjusted gross income (AGI) less than:
- $150,000 for married taxpayers filing a joint return or filing as a qualifying widow or widower
- $112,500 for head of household
- $75,000 for single taxpayers
Those individuals whose adjusted gross income is above these amounts will be subject to a phase-out of the third stimulus payment. In other words, they will receive a part of the stimulus check if their AGI is at least:
- $160,000 for married taxpayers filing a joint return or filing as a qualifying widow or widower
- $120,000 for head of household
- $80,000 for single taxpayers
What do I need to do to get my third payment?
Most eligible people have already received their third stimulus check automatically without taking any further action.
Based on available information, the IRS has determined eligibility for the stimulus check and has issued the third payment to those who:
- filed a 2020 tax return or a 2019 tax return if the 2020 tax return has not been submitted or processed yet
- didn’t file a 2020 or 2019 tax return, but registered for the first stimulus check with the Non-Filers tool in 2020
- registered through the 2021 Child Tax Credit Non-Filer Registration Tool
- are recipients of federal benefits
For tax returns with direct deposit or bank account information, the money will be sent electronically. For those households for which the Treasury cannot determine a bank account, paper checks or debit cards will be sent.
How can I check the status of my third stimulus check?
Based on IRS updates on the third Economic Impact Payment, you can no longer use the Get My Payment tool to check the status of your payment.
If you need to find the amount of the third stimulus check, view your online account or refer to Notice 1444-C, which the IRS mailed to you after sending your payment.
The IRS has also sent Letter 6475 through March 2022 to confirm the full amount of the third stimulus check and any additional payments you were issued for tax year 2021.
According to the IRS, all third stimulus checks have been issued. If you didn’t receive yours, you will need to claim the Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2021 tax return.