To speak with someone at the IRS about your tax issues, you should follow these steps:
- Call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040.
- Select your preferred language.
- Once you’ve set your language, choose option 2 for “Personal Income Tax”.
- Press 1 for “Form, tax history, or payment”.
- Press 3 for “all other questions”.
- Press 2 for “all other questions”.
- The automated system will ask you to enter your SSN or EIN. Do not enter any numbers at this time.
- The system will ask you twice and then you will be prompted with another menu.
- Press 2 for individual tax questions.
- Press 4 for all other inquiries. Then the system will transfer you to an IRS agent.
The IRS is available from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday thru Friday. If you want to avoid long hold times, call as early in the morning as possible.
Please note that the IRS will not address the following issues on the phone:
- Questions about tax law
- Transcript requests (unless you call 800-908-9946)
- IRS forms requests.
- Checking refund status when it’s been less than 21 days since you filed.
Complaints about taxes or tax-related issues.