The Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS) has become the easiest way for taxpayers to pay their federal taxes. This tax payment service is provided by the U.S. Department of the Treasury and allows individuals, businesses, financial institutions, payroll companies, and tax practitioners to easily pay their federal taxes for free.
Learn more about the EFTPS, the way it works and how to enroll in it.
The EFTPS allows taxpayers to pay their taxes online or by phone from anywhere, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. It works quickly and easily, and includes step-by-step instructions that help taxpayers make their payments in a few minutes.
When making your federal tax payments with EFTPS, you can choose between two options:
- ACH Debit (Authorize a transaction yourself)
- ACH Credit (Have your Financial Institution initiate tax payments on your behalf)
With EFTPS you can also schedule your payments up to 365 days in advance for individuals or 120 days in advance for businesses. Payments can be scheduled weekly, bi-weekly, monthly and quarterly.
To get started, make sure you have the following on hand:
- Social Security Number if you are enrolling as an individual or Employer Identification Number if you are enrolling as a business.
- Bank account number and routing number.
- Address and name as they appear on your IRS tax documents.
Then choose how you want to enroll in EFTPS:
Online – Go to EFTPS.gov and follow the step-by-step instructions. You will receive a personal identification number (PIN) by mail within five to seven business days. Once you receive your PIN, go to EFTPS.gov, click on “Log in” and follow the links to set a password.
By phone – If you prefer, you can call 1.888.725.7879, Monday through Friday, 9:00 am to 6:00 pm, to request an enrollment form by mail. After submitting the completed enrollment form, you will receive a PIN within seven business days.
Please note that both enrollment options are free.
Once you have received your PIN, you can start scheduling your federal tax payments. Make sure you have your PIN and Social Security Number or Employer Identification Number handy.
Then follow these steps:
- Go to EFTPS.gov and click on “Make a Payment”.
- Sign in with your EIN, PIN, and password.
- Enter the information regarding the payment of taxes.
- After submitting the information, you will receive an EFT confirmation number to keep for your records.
- Finally, EFTPS will debit your designated bank account on the date you scheduled the payment. Your tax information will be reported to the IRS, and your records will update automatically.
Can I cancel a payment?
If you made a mistake with your payment, you can cancel your scheduled payment through EFTPS at least two business days before the scheduled date.
To request an enrollment form:
- 877-333-8292 (Federal Agencies)
- 800-733-4829 (TDD Hearing-Impaired)
- 800-244-4829 (Spanish)
To pay through the EFTPS voice response system:
If you are outside the United States:
- 1.303.967.5916 (toll call).
For help with Social Security Number/Employer Identification Number and name mismatch:
- 1.866.255.0654 (Monday through Friday, 7:30 am to 7:00 pm ET)
For questions about due dates, balances due and installment agreements for individuals:
- 1.800.829.1040 (Monday through Friday, 7:00 am to 7:00 pm, your local time)
For questions about due dates, balances due and payment mailing addresses for businesses: 1.800.829.4933 (Monday through Friday, 7:00 am to 7:00 pm, your local time)